Saturday, January 3, 2009

We have made it!

We have finally arrived in Almaty Kazakhstan at 12:30 AM on Sunday (Kazakhstan Time). We have one more flight to go , which will get us to our city where Ben is. We are not sure if we will get to see him today or tomorrow. Today if we do not get to go to the baby house we will a good chance to unpack and setup our appartment.

I must say that I never realized who FAR Kazakhstan is from the United States and both Mike and I now have a clear understanding of how far it is. The airport here in Almaty does not have free internet so I had my first experience trying to pay for internet time with someone that does not speak English and I who does not speak Russian. The good news is I did buy internet time.

Really for the first time in my life I realize just how much I stand out in a crowd.

We did learn that Christmas is Jan 7th here so we get to experience two Christmas', this should be interesting.

We have learned that there is CHICKEN in Shymkent , so there is hope for food.

I am running out of my time, but wanted to let everyone know we made it to Kazakhstan!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are there - safe & sound! And yes, you are there in time to enjoy the Orthodox Christmas! Have fun and I can't wait to hear about meeting the boys!

Suzy said...

Wonderful update! I hope you get to meet Ben soon.

Anonymous said...

We are so glad you and Mike made it safe and sound and we can't wait to hear all about Ben. By the way, Amanda, do you think you could hit Mike up for another Christmas gift? It never hurts to try!!! Love you guys and take good care of each other.

Shana said...

We are so glad you made it. We can't wait to hear about the great adventures while you have then but not excited to see a picture!! :) Miss you guys and I can't wait to have you back.