Sunday, January 11, 2009

One week in Kazakhstan

First, let me say if I have lead anyone to believe that this is a fun adventure or wonderful vacation, I have led you wrong. We spend 85% of our day here in the apartment. Then 5% going to the market everyday, gives us something to do. The last 10% during the weekday is spent at the baby house, the highlight of our day. I have read two large books , and Mike has also been reading. The TV is all in Russian or Kaza expect for the Germany station which is only sometimes in English. We did have CNN International for the first couple of days , which was like a life line for us , but it is now gone. Our coordinator did bring us some movies and sessions of Everyone Loves Raymond, which appears to be a big show here in Kazakhstan. We have internet at the apartment which is only dial up and we pay about $1/hour. To get high speed internet we have to go to resturants. The food….well we are trying new things. We do cook a lot at the apartment mainly grilled cheese and pasta.I know lots of carbs. I just want a really nice baked potato and some meat I know. Yes potatos are popular here, but the ones at the market just do not look that great.

We noticed on Friday more of a miltary presents on the weekend than we did during the week, so we decided to stay at the apartment most of Saturday. Today, Sunday we are going to the bazar (big open air market). This should be an interesting experience.

No comments: