Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Christmas in Kazakhstan

We did not get to visit the baby house today, it was closed for Christmas. This is the first time ever the government of Kazakhstan has given workers the day off for Christmas. New Years is the big holiday here in Kazakhstan.

We will be going back to the baby house tomorrow afternoon, our visits are from 2-4 pm.

Everything is fine. At the store here we call wal-mart (does not even compare) we found ground beef. It was very expensive $7.70 a pound and I have no idea if it was ground chuck, ground round, etc. We were just excited it was cow. We did pretty well communicating with the lady at the meat counter, there was a picture of a cow. We pointed at the picture and the ground beef and she nodded, and we made hamburgers tonight, yummy!!

3 comments:

Shana said...

I am so excited to hear you are getting food. Merry Christmas for the 2nd time!! :)

Anonymous said...

Who needs a turkey with all the trimmings when you can have a Kazakhstan Burger for Christmas!?! ;-) --Gloria

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!! Did your burger taste like the ones you fix at home? I'm so glad the government gave people the day off. I bet you'll be glad to go back to see Ben tomorrow. Enjoy your day!!